My family is perfectly imperfect and not a day goes by without humour, tears or tantrums. Blogging is the modern version of keeping a diary so feel free to read along while I share the good the bad and the ugly aspects of being me!

Thursday 8 December 2011

Has Anyone Seen My Christmas Spirit?



My Christmas spirit has vanished this year, or else its taking the scenic tour to reach me.
I'm almost done shopping, the carols are playing, the tree is trimmed and egg nog in festive glass jugs sit on the shelf of my fridge and yet my holiday spirit is no where to be found.
Maybe its from the lack of snow or the fact that this year has brought so much "excitement" (for lack of a better word) that Christmas has been robbed of its importance in my life.
I suppose it could be that I don't know what to do this Christmas, this is my first time taking on the role as the holiday matriarch.... its always been my Grandma, and then my Aunt Bonnie and now the torch has been passed to me so it seems.
There wont be the horse drawn sleigh ride, the same trivia question about the age of the tree along the path to the toboggan hill, the potluck in the cabin where the choice between chili or stew is always the topic of conversation. I wont have the wintry small town view from the top of the Liskeard bridge hill and mostly I will be missing some people that play a key role in my holiday celebrations.
Its time to make some new traditions, to celebrate differently to branch out and be the head elf of our house instead of being a worker elf.
I have never really enjoyed valentines day, Easter, Halloween or even until recently Thanksgiving but Christmas was a different story - go big or go home!
We celebrate huge and its always magical (despite the fact that each year I end up plagued with the holiday blues after the celebrations wrap up). 
I don't know where my spirit is but it needs to get here soon - there isn't much time left and I don't want to be on the naughty list.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete