My family is perfectly imperfect and not a day goes by without humour, tears or tantrums. Blogging is the modern version of keeping a diary so feel free to read along while I share the good the bad and the ugly aspects of being me!

Thursday 26 July 2012

ECG Results



Each Sunday our family sits down and enjoys a tummy busting dinner and this past Sunday was no different except our desert was interrupted with a phone call from the allergist/pediatrician - yep you heard that right, a doctor called me from his home on a Sunday evening.
My heart leaped in my throat but he was just calling to check in on Maxwell, make sure that he hadn't had any cardiac problems and to see if I had heard anything about the ECG results, which at that point I hadn't.
I waited until Tuesday and then called the cardiology dept to enquire about the results, I was told that they weren't planning on sending the results to any of the other physicians until after our appointment because they didn't want "wires crossed" but that the pediatrician can personally call if he is concerned.
Tuesday evening my phone rings again and its the pediatrician, he requested the results and instead of being given the actual results he was faxed a hand written note from the cardiologist.... not exactly what we wanted but better then what we'd had.
We knew that the results would be abnormal, you can listen to Maxwell and know that something isn't right so the results were not unexpected.
The ECG showed that Maxwell has something called Right Bundle Branch Block which means that the right ventricle of his heart isn't receiving the full electrical impulse and therefore isn't contracting simultaneously with the left ventricle the way that a normal functioning heart does.
This alone isn't the diagnosis but its instead another symptom, some people live with RBBB never knowing they have it or having any problems but given that Maxwell also has Cardiomegaly (enlarged heart) its more likely an indication of an underlying heart condition.
We are being followed very closely by an awesome team of doctors who have partnered together to make sure that Max stays safe. We see the pediatrician on Monday and then the following week we go to cardiology, our wait for an appointment was a short one given the medical norm's in Ontario and even so we are squeezing in check ups - It may have taken 3 years and a fresh set of eyes to look outside the box where Max's health is concerned but I cant complain about our medical team, they are stepping up to the plate in a big way, they are monitoring closely, checking in on a personal level and are not trying to sugar coat things for me which as a parent frequently involved with the medical system I appreciate. The doctor allows me to be fearful, ask questions, and reassures me that Max is in good hands.... no matter the results, he is quick to point out "good" things like Max being developmentally appropriate and that so far there haven't been any spontaneous cardiac issues.
A great doctor can make all the difference even when things are not looking fantastic! 

1 comment:

  1. Keeping Maxwell in my prayers. Sending big hugs to all. I love that your doc is staying on top of things :)

    ReplyDelete