My family is perfectly imperfect and not a day goes by without humour, tears or tantrums. Blogging is the modern version of keeping a diary so feel free to read along while I share the good the bad and the ugly aspects of being me!

Sunday 7 August 2011

One Busy Mama



Boy have I been busy lately!
In addition to Nick's daily radiation and weekly oncology appointments at two different hospitals, we also had a bit of a chicken pox scare that landed him in the ER in the middle of the night. It thankfully wasn't chicken pox or else he would have needed to be admitted and quarantined and put on antiviral medication. I was having a bit of a panic attack because we then would have had to cancel Maxwell's 2nd birthday celebration and I didnt have any time to arrange child care.
The following morning after the ER I woke up feeling horrible, at first I thought that it was kidney stones again and then I thought the flu but in all reality I think that I was just burnt out because after 18 hours of sleeping my fever broke and I felt much better. It was an awakening for me, I need to take care of myself because that day I was totally useless and looking back now completely delirious too because I don't remember much of that day at all.
Since my mystery illness I have been encouraging the boys to be more self reliant and have been reprimanding them more consistently when they act up. Now is the time to make the improvements that need to be made to not only allow me to keep my sanity but also to allow us to function easier as a family unit. We are a unique bunch and it takes some creativity, comittment and resilance to keep us operaing like a finely oiled machine and over the last few months I've let a lot of things slide and its time to get back on track.
I also did something that I have never done in my entire life.... I have booked a relaxation massage for later this week.
I have also been working very hard on my new business Treasure Beyond Measure Photography and I've been asked to collaborate with POGO (Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario) and provide them with my thoughts about how pediatric cancer care has/hasn't changed over the last five years and offer my suggestions about areas that need improvement.
Nick is now on his three week radiation break before moving on to the second phase, we were told that of the three phases this would be the one most likely to make him sick because it will be radiating his internal organs. We are hopeful that with some preventative measures and medication it shouldn't be too bad.
His hair is starting to grow back and he is now sporting a little mustache - although he hasnt gained anymore weight he is holding onto the eight pounds that returned while doing the high calorie diet and appetite increasing medication.
They may be baby steps but they are steps in the right direction and for that I am happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment